- To offer undergraduate and graduate programs as well as short-term courses to optimum number of students.
- To strive to present climate for creating knowledge and skill through quality education.
- To disseminate latest knowledge to all social classes at any stage of their life.
- To secure developments in scientific and non-scientific fields.
- To blend theory and practice to enable students to apply acquired knowledge immediately for upliftment of self, family and the society at large.
- To upgrade knowledge and skill.
- To counsel graduate to secure gainful employment at home and abroad in order to emerge as leaders in the community.
- American System of Education.
- Quality Education, training and research facilities for the emancipation of the self and the society.
- Full Free Education for those having exceptional talents and 30- 100% scholarship for meritorious but poor students disadvantaged segments of the community to make higher education attainable by optimum number of students.
- Special stipend/scholarship for members of the same family, females, sons/daughters of freedom fighters, sports persons, artists and students from rural areas.
- Interest free Study loan for the deserving.
- Free Remedial courses for Computer Science & Mathematics.
- Student-friendly fee payment system.
- Day & Evening Classes but evening classes especially for service holders.
- Hostel facilities for female students from outer districts of Bangladesh.
- Credit transfer facilities to universities in UK, Ireland, USA, Canada and Australia.
- Well equipped class rooms and state-of-art Labs.
- Student membership with IEEE, ASCE, AME, ICE and ACM.
- Compulsory learning of communicative English.
Some Significant Achievements
Although the formal approval to start operation of the World University of Bangladesh was received initially on February 07, 2003 and subsequently on February 26, 2003, the groundwork for the university began in early part of 2000. At the start, it had 2 faculties, 3 departments, 16 teachers, 144 students and a handful of employees. Based on our experience, we started with a vision of providing utilitarian education at the tertiary level, and over the last nine and half years, we have emerged as the leading university for utilitarian education. It is a university founded mostly by the teachers having vast experience of teaching and teaching administration at home and abroad and as such this knows what is education and how it should be designed and provided or the betterment of the self, society and country.
Probably that is one of the reasons why we have adequate infrastructural facilities including state of art laboratories in its 9th year of operation. The university has more than 5000 students besides hose 783 who received certificates on 28 October, 2008 in its first Convocation and more than 2300 students who will be receiving certificates on December 23, 2012.
It may be again noted that all the programs are utilitarian in nature and some of them are unique and unheard of in this part of the world such as B.Sc. in Mechantronics Engineering (MTE) and Master of Business Education (MBE). The university is the first and only one to introduce such programs not only in Bangladesh but also in the whole of the sub-continent.
We also offer evening MBA programs run by Highly qualified and experienced teachers -a handful of them come from the public universities and practicing world. The university has a total of about 210 teachers -many of them have higher education up to the level of Ph.D. The number of employees stands at 100 respectively giving a teacher student ratio of 1:26 and the employee - students ratio of 1:54.75.
The university has adequate number of classrooms fitted and equipped with modern aids for education; air conditions, white boards etc as well as spacious administrative offices. It has lifts and generators at all of its locations. It has facilities for games and sports, canteen, cafeteria, prayer rooms and separate common room for girls students. These facilities will be magnified with the establishment of new and spacious campus soon. The university has very spacious libraries. The number of books in the library is thirteen thousand; the number of Journals is about one hundred, besides an arrangement to access 250,000 books, journals, magazine, newspaper etc. on online basis.
The university is very prompt in taking classes and tutorials, conducting examinations, evaluating the scripts and notifying the grades and results. It is engaged in an intense effort to eradicate any unfair means in examinations. There are records of expulsion for unfair means in the examination.
These are the reasons why our students receive quality education & none of them remains unemployed after passing.
Other Keys to Quality Education
The World University of Bangladesh has a very rich and self sufficient computer & information technology lab, sufficient Civil Engineering laboratories and laboratories for Electrical Engineering and Mechatronics Engineering and Pharmacy. The laboratory for Architecture and Textile Engineering are also commendable. The syllabi and curriculum are subject to modification with approval from UGC to keep them inline with the modern trend.
With all these, we have as stated earlier, more than 5000 students; most of the students come from outskirt areas. The service-holders-cum students come from Civil service, Army, Navy, Air force, N.G.O. Multinational, and Natural utilities, City Corporation etc. Our financial administration is geared to ensure accountability and transparency. The accounts are scientifically kept and audited each year by the auditors approved by the Honorable Chancellor The management pattern is collegiate and value-based. The largest chunk of the budgeted money is earmarked for teaching followed by research.
The university does miss only limited number of classes in a semester due to unforeseen events. Then the makeup class is a general practice in the university. The students are also found to be punctual, hard working and sincere; and therefore, the percentages of passes in post- graduate and undergraduate programs are also impressive. The following are some other means of ensuring quality education:
As detailed earlier, in this university, there are state of art laboratories for computer science, Civil, Mechatorincs, Electronics, Electrical, Digital, Physics, Chemistry, Transportation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering. All these have contributed to produce qualified graduates who have quickly obtained attractive jobs or obtained opportunity for higher education at home and abroad or quick promotions in the present jobs and promotion even to the rank of Secretaries, Managing Director, Executive Director or CEO in national or international organizations.